Sunday, August 22, 2010

Almond Apricot Chicken with Mint Pesto

I don't have many pictures this week! Nashville has been really stormy lately (i.e. getting dark inconveniently early) so most of the shots I took were so dark that they weren't even worth editing. Either way, I had a good time making this. Kitchen therapy is the new black.
Have I mentioned lately how much fun I've been having? Well, good times merit mentioning again, so there it is. I am having a blast. If you happened to see me at Tomato Fest last weekend on stage at the red head contest, I meant every word!

I have considered changing the name of this blog to "1,000 things to do with chicken breast and other things Martha Stewart has taught me" but that's not nearly as easy to remember. Yes, I do have another chicken recipe, they're just so photogenic! Plus, it's something I can buy in bulk cheaply and it's a more healthy option than many things. The pesto starts to oxidize pretty much the moment it is out, but I promise it tastes really fresh and light. This recipe pairs some unexpected flavors, and it's not something I can imagine becoming a classic, but if you are in the mood for a light, fresh and almost Mediterranean flavor, give this one a shot.

Adapted from Martha Stewart

For the chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup sliced almonds (always good to have around anyway to liven up a salad etc.)
2 ounces goat cheese
4 dried apricots, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
coarse salt & ground black pepper
1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs (also good to have around)
1 large egg, lightly beaten

For the mint pesto:
3 cups lightly packed fresh mint*
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt

*Two things: It just occurred to me that I completely forgot to salt the pesto, but it still tasted great, and who needs extra salt in their diet anyway? So, consider the salt optional. Also, I did not have quite enough mint, so I just eyeballed the amount of almonds I used and added olive oil very conservatively until the texture was right. Remember you can always add but can never subtract!

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut a slit in each breast (being careful not to cut through completely to the otherside) to create a pocket about 4 inches long.

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the almonds with the goat cheese and apricots. Stuff each breast with the one quarter of the mixture. Season the breasts with salt and pepper all over.

On a plate, combine the breadcrumbs and the remaining 1/4 cup almonds. Dip or brush each breast with the beaten egg, then dredge in the mixture. Make sure you get the sides!

Heat the oil in a large ovenproof (hah, wish I had one!) non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken until golden, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remember, this is the only chance you will have to make it look good, and it will have a chance to cook through in the oven so just worry about nice pretty browning. Transfer the chicken to the oven and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the pesto.

In a food processor (or blender, whatever ya got), combine the mint which you have thoroughly washed with the almonds and process until finely chopped.

Add the olive oil gradually, and season with the salt if you're using it. Keep it at room temperature until ready to use, it will last in the fridge for up to two weeks, just make sure you let it get to room temperature before serving it so you can taste all the lovely minty-ness.

Serve the chicken hot with the pesto. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. OMG. Going to try this. Must... refrain... from licking... computer screen!

    Apparently wasting time at work by looking at your blog just before lunch time was a BAD idea.

    But good. Cuz ur awesome, too. :D

    ReplyDelete