Thursday, October 21, 2010

Carrot-Raisin Muffins and New Order

Alternate Title: N.K.O.T.Blogroll.
Dude. New Order in the fall just DOES it for me. So do warm spicy things like nutmeg and cinnamon- but that's everybody, right? I have been neglecting my urge to cook lately, but it's all been for very good reason. Once again, I am beyond lucky and I am in love with being alive.

So.... guess who's the new kid on the blog roll over at The Daring Kitchen? After a month waiting and approval period I have made the grade and I cant wait to join in on the monthly challenge with the rest of the Daring Cooks. It's a great way for me to stay accountable to keeping the blog going, and to try new things I would not normally cook. The Daring Kitchen was co-founded by the blogger who inspired me stop reading and start blogging. She is a goddess in the kitchen and I am honored to be cooking with the likes of her and the other talented members of The Daring Kitchen. She lured me in with this, and my roommate at the time (who also inspired me with her culinary cunning) proceeded to teach me how to make caramel. I've never looked back.

Have you ever taken a good look at nutmeg? (Or seen it whole for that matter?) It's just one of those surprisingly beautiful things.
The raisins (even though I don't always enjoy them) add to the sweetness of these muffins. Since they are intended for breakfast they are more spicy and fragrant than sweet- which is good if you're like me and sugar crashes you out in about ten minutes. Also, the texture on these babies comes out perfect. That little extra effort with sifting is so worthwhile. I know I've been doing a lot of carrot things lately but I couldn't say no to a really cheap five pound bag. I'm hoping they freeze well.
Oh, and... no dairy :)

Carrot Raisin Muffins
makes 1 dozen muffins

1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup soy milk (or milk I suppose, if you want)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots

I grated the carrots and the nutmeg myself. The carrots are a little thin, but they end up looking lovely in the muffin and they taste awesome. Plus, getting your food pre-chopped in a bag can mean less tasty freshness.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. I used cupcake liners but feel free to just lightly grease a muffin tin and have at it.

Soak the raisins in a bowl of hot water for about ten minutes- just boil some water and pour them over the raisins. It plumps them and makes them nice and tender so they separate and mix well with the batter. Who wants to bite into a muffin to find a hard stale raisin?

In a large mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the milk, oil, and vanilla. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. It will be lumpy but I promise it will work itself out once the carrots and raisins are in there. Fold in the grated carrots. Drain the raisins and fold them in as well. Divide the batter evenly among the cups, about 3/4 full, and bake for 18-22 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Easy. Easy, easy.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. EMILY - I have a challenge for you. You should dabble in gluten free baked goods. It would be something new and would definitely challenge the science side of your cooking. I'd LOVE to see some recipes like that. And by the way I love anything baked with carrots and cinnamon. I'm a fan. These would also be awesome reducing the cinnamon (or eliminating it) and using ground or fresh grated ginger. Ginger and carrots are awesome! Thanks for posting. I like this.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete