Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pasqua & Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Steamed Asparagus

Easter is always one of the best college breaks, and this year it was not combined with spring break so it felt like a giant bonus. The weather was perfect, and I was able to spend time with people who are important to me... and there was the food.
I did not create the lovely honey glazed ham you see here, but I did burn myself on the pan! (Ha! I reeled you in with that pic, didn't I?)

And there was plenty of "help" (sniffing, ham-gazing & dish pre-rinse attempts) from these little ladies. Anyway, cuteness aside, the main dish I wanted to share with you today was made for a certain lucky gent on Easter evening. I really enjoy a challenge in the kitchen (a la Julie/Julia), but as far as relatively simple recipes goes, this is absolutely one of my favorites right now.

Once again, this recipe is adapted from Martha's Great Food Fast. In my opinion, it is one of the best books for people who want to take the next step towards becoming a better cook, or at least want to make food that is usually easy and always looks really impressive! I think the "looks impressive" part is a great stepping stone towards trying new and challenging recipes because it builds up confidence, I promise. Even if you don't hit a home run every time, you are improving your skills and becoming more comfortable with your own knowledge of what works and what does not. No fear cooks! Just be safe, please :)

Braised Chicken with Mushrooms & Steamed Asparagus

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (go for a very medium size, about 6 oz each)
Course salt & fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound white mushrooms, wiped clean & sliced 1/2 inch thick*
4 garlic cloves, halved
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional, I've had it both ways and it's still really great whichever way you choose to prepare the chix)
1 3/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish


*I sliced the 'shrooms myself the first time I made this, which was fine, but time consuming. This time, I bought pre-sliced mushrooms from Whole Foods. It cut my prep time in half. If you decide to do this, just make sure you clean mushrooms properly- so important. I wash mine in a colander and then wipe them clean with a paper towel. would not recommend soaking them. If you've got a sink sprayer that can be a huge help.

1. Sprinkle the chix with salt & pepper, about 1/4 teaspoon each. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken; cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

2. Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the hot skillet. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover; cook over medium heat until the mushrooms release their juices, 2-3 minutes (I think it took mine a little longer, but you will definitely know when the mushrooms have released their juices). Remove the lid, cook over high heat, tossing occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden, 4-5 minutes.

3. Pour the wine, if using, into the skillet (make sure it's hot enough! Mine was not so this part took a few extra minutes), cook, stirring until evaporated. The recipe said one minute but I judged by smell and look. Add the broth & parsley; cook over medium-high heat until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid has reduced, 8-10 minutes.

4. Return the chicken to the skillet. Cover, simmer over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 10-12 minutes. This chunk of time gives you just enough time to make the asparagus and whatever else you feel like serving. Serve the cutlets topped with the mushrooms and a drizzle of cooking liquid (yum). Garnish with additional fresh parsley.

For the Asparagus

1. Wash the asparagus and remove tough ends. I like to hold mine on both ends and then gently bend downward until the end pops off.

2. In a flat bottomed or larger skillet, lightly salt about an inch of water, or just enough to cover the asparagus. Bring to a boil, and cook asparagus for about 6 minutes until softer, but still lightly crunchy and bright green in color. You can add all kinds of seasoning to asparagus. I chose to just use pepper this time, but I am itching to try lemon & parm.... or hollandaise if I'm feeling really indulgent. Preparing asparagus this way is really kind of fool proof, it does not matter if you choose to cover the skillet while cooking, or only leave the veggies in for 2 minutes. It is all personal preference.

3. Drain, season & eat up!


One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you will most likely have lots of leftover parsley. Parsley is great on TONS of things, I put it on almost everything until I can't use it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment